Thursday, July 14, 2011

New Stuff for Cool Girls: M.A.C. Face and Body Foundation

M.A.C.'s website describes this as
"A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long lasting-formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." -maccosmetics.com
(Source: google.com, search MAC Face & Body images)
This is a thorough review on M.A.C.'s Face & Body Foundation that I've been working on for a while, I wanted to provide you with all the information I could and all the little details I've noticed about the product, so sorry if it's quite lengthy! Hopefully this gives you everything you need to know so you can try it if you're interested. Now, onto the good stuff...

I've been in this dewy phase for a long time now, I started with Revlon ColorStay which I loved at first but once I started using it everyday for a while I realized it didn't give me the finish or color I was looking for. I then moved to Maybelline Fit Me Liquid Foundation and it was too oily and slippery. It didn't last on my skin throughout working and running around during the day, so this didn't work for me either. I never have owned a high street brand of foundation such as MAC just because I'm a believer that you can find equally great products without spending heaps of money. Face & Body was different though, for the amount of product, quality, and price it's the best deal and the best foundation I've used as of now. I don't want to be too positive saying "Oh this is the greatest foundation on earth!" I'm just sure it's the best one for my needs that I've tried so far.

This formula is only available at MAC stores (this means they don't carry it at places like Nordstroms) and retails for $32. This might seem pricey, but compared to the extremely large amount of product (4 fl. ounces). In comparision to other high street foundations; Nars Sheer Glow and Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation retail at $42 for 1 fl. ounce, it's actually a really good deal. Via makeupalley.com it's currently rated a 4.0 out of 5 and 70% of reviewers would purchase again. There are many shades available which is a double edged sword in the sense that you've got a lot of choice, but too many choices can get a little overwhelming for some. I've taken about 3 weeks of using this product everyday to give it a true, and thorough review. I was looking for a few key things for this makeup to provide me with, those are; a natural finish, builable coverage for acne spots / hyperpigmentation, true water-resistance, and a clean formula (as in it doesn't cause me more breakouts, etc.)

Here's what I found out:
  • Although it's best to get samples of maybe two shades to choose from, I just went in and asked them to match a shade that would best match my chest / body (my face is a little lighter than the rest of me) and it turned up being the perfect match. If your overwhelmed by the array of shades just ask an associate to help you, simple. Face & Body was exactly what I was looking for in terms of shade match.
  • I've applied this with both my fingers and a foundation brush and I've noticed that when using my fingers it gives a more natural finish, I think this is a result of the heat that's created when your fingers are massaging the product into the skin. This allows the product to sort of melt into my face, which left me with a really sheer, pretty, true skin finish. When applied using a foundation brush (RealTechniques Foundation Brush) it provides more coverage, I find this helpful if I'm having a particular issue with breakouts because it pops more product onto the needed area without leaving a cakey residue. 
  • Just because those are the only two application techniques I've tried there's tons of ways to apply your makeup and you're sure to find one that does exactly what you need it to do. Some other ways off application of this makeup are; a wet sponge like the Beauty Blender or something similar, or flat top brush, Sonia Kashuk / e.l.f. have one that people rave about (I'm going to try one of these next). You can get these brushes from Target for under $10. 
  • You will need to set it with a powder because it leaves a sort of tacky consistency on the skin if you don't. I kind of like this because it makes me feel like it's really sticking to my skin and will adhere to anything else I might apply. I have used BareMinerals Mineral Veil and Fit Me Powder. Both are working well. I apply after I've applied all my other face makeup.
  • I've noticed I don't need a concealer when I wear this, it evens everything out so well that my under eye circles have seemed to disappear. 
  • Applying e.l.f.'s Mineral Infused Primer onto my skin 2 minutes before application helps adhere the makeup to my skin and elongates the lasting power.
PROS
  • Long lasting
  • Really blendable, and sheer
  • Can be built up to cover problem areas 
  • Huge amount of product for the price and quality
  • Water-resistant
  • Good match with my skin [C4]
  • Perfect natural finish
  • Photographs beautifully, doesn't white out the face or create strange tones in pictures
  • Clean, hygienic product dispense
  • Doesn't dry darker on dry patches / get blotchy
CONS
  • Funky smell
  • Not the best if you need FULL coverage (but it does provide sufficient coverage for my acne and dark spots)
  • Watery consistency (this can be a pro or a con, I think it's good because it blends really easily, if it were any thicker it would be hard to move around the skin and dry uneven)
  • It's notorious for seperating in the bottle, this doesn't compromise the quality of the product as long as you just shake shake shake before applying! 
  • As for red spots, I do need to apply concealer. I noticed it's difficult to cover redness with this product.
I'm really in love with this foundation. It does everything I need it to and has all of the qualities I look for in a formula. I give this a 5 out of 5 rating for quality, price, formula, shade, overall product. I recommend this for people who have similar wants from their foundation as I do. At least run to you nearest MAC store and get a sample just to see how you like it!

*SWATCHES COMING SOON (My camera broke, I'm in the midst of fixing it and upon that I will update with swatches)

Here's some photo's of me wearing MAC Face & Body Foundation

What's your favorite foundation and what finish do you like?

XOX,
- Mj

3 comments:

  1. OMG that foundation looks *amazing* on you!! I think I will have to buy this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS!!! I love it if you can't tell from my review (; Let me know how you like it!

    XOX,
    - Mj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looove this foundation too :)
    I'm glad you like it!
    It's the only liquid foundation that I use when i do decide to use foundation lol.

    http://kristannbby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete